Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: if you pay less for shipping that it actually costs do you offer to pay more?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Homemommie's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 30th, 2005
    Posts
    501
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I bought a set off of ebay that had the shiping listed and confirmed. I paid for the shipping but was just informed that the shipping cost triple what she charged me!

    She did NOT ask me to pay it, however she DID tell me it cost more.

    I feel bad for her and am curious how the rest of you handle that?

    As a seller I never go back to the buyer and ask for more shipping as I figure I quoted a price and should honor it (again not speak about my seller here but rather about my rules)and trust me I have been burned on more than one occation so now I have a shipping scale lol.


    So anyway what would you do?

    If I paid for the s/h then it would put me WAY over budget. But.... I hate for anyone to be out ... but..... so what would you do??

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Molly-Felicity's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 27th, 2004
    Posts
    471
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I think that would depend on how much profit the seller made off of the item. If she/he made quite a bit, I don't know if I would be that concerned about it. If the seller really didn't make a huge profit I would probably split the difference. Good Luck.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member FelinaDoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 3rd, 2005
    Posts
    692
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    For $30 you can get a scale and charge so that you don't lose money on shipping.

    I PMEd' yah

  4. #4
    Inactive Member jenndon's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 15th, 2005
    Posts
    687
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I was just faced with that on my Marisol. I thought it was going to cost me about $10 more, because Priority Mail or Ground UPS wouldn't get it there. I was just going to eat it.

    I wouldn't worry about it, especially if the seller did make a good profit. If it was a really good buy for you, maybe offer to contribute a few more dollars towards shipping??

  5. #5
    monimarine
    Guest monimarine's Avatar

    Post

    I just sold some stamp sets in a lot on ebay. The buyer assumed that the sets would fit in a flat rate priority box and paid $7 for shipping. She didn't take into consideration that the sets are not all the same size, and the cost to ship to the destination. (I had the shipping calculator on the listing) Anyway, my mother shipped the sets because they were at her house. It cost $23.90 to ship 17 stamp sets to the west coast. I emailed the buyer and told her. I didn't ask for more money. I also told her that my mother added insurance and delivery confirmation on her own because she wanted to for her piece of mind. The buyer offered to pay the difference and immediately paid.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member jrtmom3274's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 13th, 2004
    Posts
    800
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    As a seller, I feel that if I miscalculate the shipping, the error is my responsibility, not the buyer's. I wouldn't even mention it to the buyer. It's really not the buyer's problem. If they followed through on the the auction says, so should I. I think eBay would side with the buyer, especially since there are many ways to accurately calculate shipping.
    I really don't feel this is your responsibility to pay more than the auction states, Starla, but if you feel it is, you should go with your gut instinct and give her what you feel is fair.

    <font color="#051E50" size="1">[ December 18, 2005 01:20 PM: Message edited by: jrtmom3274 ]</font>

  7. #7
    LordofthePumpkinPatch
    Guest LordofthePumpkinPatch's Avatar

    Post

    If a seller lists a shipping legally the cannot back out on it. We've run into that problem... on both ends. I have made listings mistakes that had to be eaten. I didn't mention it to the buyer. That is insipid. I would hold a seller to the price they listed.

    Howevere if a buyer takes it upon themselves to guess on the shipping and pay by paypal, no dice. If I made a profit on shipping it's their loss for jumping the gun, but if I am going to lose money on their taking it upon themselves to calculate shipping and plug in their own number, the paypal will be cancelled, and an invoice made out. I wouldn't put up with that, Period.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Homemommie's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 30th, 2005
    Posts
    501
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks guys! I do want to make sure everyone knew that the seller did NOT ask me to pay more, I think maybe because she DID let me know of the cost it was making me aware??

    As a seller I have had to eat some pretty big expenses, my biggest was when I sold a crop in style XXL (sc rap book bag) that I advertised as $15 shipping knowing that I intended to ship via UPS but never clarified ... well long story short a military wife with an APO bought it and so it had to go usps and it cost me $40 to ship!! I learned a BIG lesson there ALWAYS state the shipping means AND clarify that canada , alaks,a HI, and APO would have to pay more s/h.

    YIKES!


    I think that in this case if the item gets here on monday or tuesday and is packaged really safe then I might go ahead and give her a little bit towards the cost. We'll call it a bonus [img]wink.gif[/img]

  9. #9
    Inactive Member mystere's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 8th, 2005
    Posts
    63
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I never even tell buyers if my shipping was higher than quoted. And there have been a few times I was way off for some reason and ate a $10-15 amount for the extra for shipping. I figure I advertised it at a certain shipping price, and I know as a buyer I factor that price into my overall cost for the item- I'll bid higher if shipping is lower. So I don't think it's fair as a seller to ask the buyer to make up for my shipping mistakes.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •